Thursday, April 3, 2008

Common threads

I've lived in a few different regions of the country but I always laugh at the common things people say about the place they live. In Michigan we always said the "Well, if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute and it will change" or referring to crazy weather patterns "That's Michigan weather for ya!". Now the funny thing about this is that I've heard the same exact things said in Georgia, Kentucky and Mississippi and everyone always says it like it only applies to their state. It just makes me laugh.
I do have to say that the weather in Mississippi is weird or maybe the meteorologists are morons....one or the other. Today the temperature was supposed to be 83...okay, fine. Each time I log on to the computer my automatic google weather thing comes up and says "forecast high 83-- actual 84, 85,87".....um climbing?. This isn't exactly hilarious but the weather guide does this everyday! I mean I could probably hit the mark give or take 10 degrees, ya know?
Another thing people always commented on were the drivers. In every town/city I live there is always a similar reason why all the drivers in the area suck. Hey, don't we all agree on Florida drivers?
My only comment on the South is that there is a definite difference in the use of the turn signal.....people really don't use them much down here. I am a rabid turn signal user so I get fired up about it I think. I really must stop flipping people off who don't use them....pretty soon it will be someone I know and I will feel like a juvenile asshole.
As far as I'm concerned we are all stellar road masters compared to drivers in South America. Holy Shit. Talk about crazy people. No lanes, no rules just GoGoGo and Hooooonk whenever you can. I once had to ride in the back of a pickup in Quito traffic with a knife drawn to keep people from stealing our luggage out of the bed of the truck. Haha. Oh I miss those days....but that is for another blog subject.

No comments: