Friday, February 1, 2008

Random acts of a toddler

Now, folks. Everyday with a toddler is a challenge but today is breaking me. I'm so tired. ugh, what a whiner I am.

This little rascal makes me laugh all day long but at the same time I want to pull out my hair. This morning I woke up not so great but my little one was of course full speed ahead. He demands his juice first thing and loves to show you where to go to get it, which juice to pour and how damn thirsty he is by doing an excited song and dance. So right after juice we'll do diaper change and then I stagger back to the kitchen to make my coffee; zombielike. However, today....like I said previously, I'm not feeling so hot....so I'm not exactly rushing to make the coffee. This break from the routine is unacceptable to a toddler. He demanded I make my coffee with shouts and jumping and pointing to the coffee maker and the ginormous coffee can on the counter. He was greatly disturbed.
My point here being that I am not the great Routine Maker/Uptight/Schedule Nazi that my husband thinks I am.....I am merely a pawn.

Moving on to shower time. I blockade our little scamp in the back rooms while I shower so he can't get into too much trouble. This gives him his bedroom, the guest room and the bathroom to romp around in and I can kinda keep an eye on him. He was having a good time emptying out the diaper stacks, trying on shoes and playing with his toys and then every so often coming and whipping the shower curtain open and tossing something in with me.....but then I notice a stillness. It had probably been a few minutes by the time I realized it. We ALL know that children and quiet don't really happen naturally unless there is trouble. So I get out of the shower and did a quick scan of the bathroom noticing that the roll of toilet paper I had just put on the counter was gone. Uh OH.
Carter was proudly "decorating" his room with the roll of toilet paper and I say proudly because he was practically glowing with it and looked utterly devestated when I took that roll away from him. Not even 2 yrs old and he's practicing his TP'ing skills. Can't wait for highschool.

So now we are in afternoon. He wanted to color and lo! am I to hold back his artistic urges so we got some crayons and colored pencils out. We drew daddy a picture and then promptly smelled up the whole room with a dirty diaper. So we are off to change the smelly and running with a colored pencil. "No running with pencils! You'll poke your eye out!"I say and wrestle pencil from ninja grip. "Arghhhh!" screams the child and snatches it back (with ninja style) Wherein he promptly trips and pokes himself in the eye with it. Here my point is that mothers are always right.

No comments: