Tuesday, February 12, 2008

How can we love this much?

I ask myself this question pretty often. How is it possible that we are so utterly and completely enamored of our children? Carter is my heart and my life has no meaning unless he is in it. So dramatic but true. Every new thing he does is so amazing to me and my heart fills even more with love. On the day he was born I thought I could never love him as much as I did then, but that wasn't true; 6 months go by, 1 year goes by and you think "How can I love him more than I do now?" And you just do.

And how can we love another child like the first? I've been told "You just do", and I suppose I will find out myself soon enough. Already this little stranger inside of me makes me worry for its' health and well being. I want to give it my strength to grow strong. It's a strange thing to contemplate really.... I feel like I give everything to my son, already. Will I have enough to give to both of my children?

2 comments:

mandi said...

You will, but there is a definitely a "guilt" phase, because you will never be able to give all of your time to the new baby --- or will you be able to give it to carter like you do now. but somehow everyone adjust and it becomes a new norm. and laura owen said it best....it is like you grow a whole new heart to fill with love for the new baby and you will. I can't explain it but you will.

Olivia said...

You definitely will. And even more, you will love how they change all of the other people in your family too. You get to see your child love their sibling (it DOES happen) and you get to see your husband love two kids and juggle them just like you. And you also find strength inside yourself to handle and love them all. Strength you never knew you had--it's all in there!