Have you ever smelled mildewed sand? Not pleasant. In fact, it's almost impossible to scrub away the smell without using Ajax and you don't want to use Ajax on your 2 year old. Comet is okay I hear but definitely not Ajax. :)
Yesterday I walked outside and saw a pond where once we had a sandbox. I exclaim "Holy crap! How'd all this water get in here?" and I'm thinking to myself I know I left the lid off but even during the hurricane the sandbox didn't get water in it.... what could have happened?
The sandbox looked like it had taken on more water than the Titanic and the husband says "Oh, he dumped a little water in it yesterday"
A little?! A little meaning 8 gallons? How does this happen without it being quickly halted?
Now, I could be just nitpicking here but .....I really don't want mildew sandbox. It's an awful smell and you can't "clean" sand.
To avoid irritated mommy he could have just made something up. I really would have rather heard something to the affect of "Well, we were discussing the marine topography off of the coast of the Hebrides and I thought it prudent to build a model for demonstration purposes. Don't you agree?" and I would have said "Yes, of course dear. Anything in the name of Science." I then would have taken my smiling ass back in the house. (I seriously don't know where the Hebrides are or the marine topography of, but this would have all sounded really good to me)
Well, we (the royal "we" in this case meaning my husband) dumped the water out and we hoped that the sand would dry out in the sun before the mildew set in. Alas, it did not. So this morning as Carter is happily flinging sand everywhere and I take 15 rare minutes to read my book I notice two smells. Mildew sand and poopy diaper. For once the smell of a poopy diaper was trumped. Ugh. Basically, never mix large amounts of water with a sandbox. Now we have to completely clean the stupid thing out and replace sand. Pain in the ass. AND it took me 30 minutes of soaping up the child in the shower to get rid of that smell
Why doesn't sand on the beach ever get this smelly? Even when you dig down really deep to hit the wet stuff....it doesn't smell. I am curious.
I know this is a long post about smelly sand but, Hey! it took up most of my morning and this blog is basically a chronicle of our life and all it's tediousness (is this a word?). Besides, if I discuss pregnancy or labor anymore my sister will kill me.
*******
Ahem. 41 weeks and still going like a pregnant energizer bunny. Just got done examining stretch marks all over stomach and almost cried thinking of the stupid one pieces I will probably be buying in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment