Friday, September 12, 2008

Not exactly Indiana McMahon these days...

I'm feeling a bit panicky lately. Almost like a guy on the eve of his wedding ready to bolt :).... except I'm not going anywhere with this belly. I all of a sudden am overwhelmed with thoughts like "Will I be able to do anything ever again?" and mentally rehashing my past adventures as a Non-Mom. How can I have anymore adventures? Adventures are dangerous! Adventures involve being very uncomfortable and/or scared at times. Adventures are for people who only have to watch their own back...not the tender little backs of two young ones. Adventures aren't for my babies!!

I love being a mom but there is this feeling of being restrained and now that I will have another one to care for I'm wondering if I have enough eyes in my head to watch out for all the dangers in this world. (Those umbilical cords shouldn't be made to come off so quick....they would make excellent leashes well into puberty. )
Don't get me wrong, I would never trade my chosen role for anything but I just don't see myself climbing any mountains in South America again (unless they're made of laundry) or chanting "Viva el Jefe" at a nieghborhood socialist meeting in Cuba while drinking out of a coconut some militant macheted open for me.

It's strange how the world changes when you add two frail little beings to it. Two little guys that you carried inside of you and cherish more than your own life. Now when I think of family vacations I think of a safe environment with air conditioning and potable water. :) I've become such a MOM.
The funny thing is my husband still insists that we can go trekking through the Yucatan jungle with the kids just as long as "they avoid the skin-eating plants". Hmmmm.
I'm glad he is the way he is, though. If we were both worrywarts then we wouldn't ever be able to show our children much of the world beyond the grounds of the hotel we were staying at.
As far as political systems go...I guess the only socialism my family will be exposed to in the near future will be in our own home as they chant Viva La Jefe! to The Momma.
That's right, I rule

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Don't worry Jess. When the new one can walk, maybe we can take all the kids to Alaska and have a Familyfied adventure. The guy Andy saw this summer had his 3 year old on the ice cap for a couple of weeks. The adventures will come again. Right now, I guess we have to settle for navigating the dangerous land of Walmart and potty training:)

Anonymous said...

O Jessica... you can always got to the Outback.. everybody needs a holiday.