You know when you had a paper due in college and you just tried to avoid thinking about it in hopes that it would magically disappear? That is how I've been feeling about blogging recently. I'm not sure why....
Anyway, since I was raised on guilt and it flows in my veins I've forced myself to sit here and type something. :) Oh joy for all of you who even still read this, huh?
Well, our weekend was so busy that I actually have an excuse and since I ended up having to go to the hospital to make sure I wasn't in labor everyone should feel sorry for me. So in the 10 minutes of free time I have while Carter eats "Apple Jacks" and watches Diego......lemme fill ya in.
Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot not do something. In other words I am a control freak and have to be doing whatever it is that is going on. I am no good just lying there and resting .... this is driving my poor, suffering husband crazy. So friday was a big day because we were planning on having a garage sale on saturday. We finally realized that the "projects" we've been hanging on to and the various hand-me-downs were taking up too much space in our house and it was affecting our living conditions.
(Side note: I had a terribly hard time parting with a vanity that my mother and I worked on and that I have had since I was a preteen.....hand painted, old, hand stitched skirting....etc....she is probably rolling over in her grave.)
Anyway, here I am; very pregnant, having contractions, not drinking enough water, lifting things I shouldn't be....you get the picture. I'm a nitwit. So I had Braxton Hicks contractions from Friday evening until Saturday evening. A lot of them.....like every 5 minutes, and a lot of pressure and crampiness. These generally aren't good signs for a woman who is only 7 months pregnant (even though I look 9 months). I must say this pregnancy is rougher than my first. I'm not sure if it's because I am chasing after Carter so much or if I'm just getting old and out of shape. So we did the garage sale, made lots of moolah and then I sat on the couch trying to will my contractions to stop. This didn't work so off to labor and delivery where they strapped me down and ran tests......they essentially forced me to lie still for 1 1/2 hours. I realized then that this is the longest time I've been still in days. Even when I am "resting" at home I am getting up to get a toy that is dropped under the couch, or refilling a sippy cup, or answering the phone or getting a drink from the kitchen. So my contractions stopped in hospital and apparently I wasn't in actual labor...yeah!
I guess my uterus is like an olympic athlete training for the big event. A little bit of an overachiever if ya ask me.
Now Kevin is on my case about doing too much and since he started pointing out to me how many times in a day that I am doing what I am not supposed to be doing (moving things, lifting things) I see his point. But honestly, the way I see it....if I'm swinging a 26lb toddler around all day what's the difference if I'm lugging a box of toys from room to room. I mean, as an anthropologist (however inactive I may be) you wonder how women all over the world do it....baby after baby, working the land for their food, grinding grains, washing in the river, etc...... you get my point, right? I am the product of western culture, I guess; soft and whiny.
I felt much more powerful with my first pregnancy....wonder what happened.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment