Friday, June 6, 2008

Blessed be

I am truly blessed.

Blessed as in lucky, fortunate or charmed. It's a word I never used before living in the South, unless I said "Bless you" when someone sneezed. :) I think because it's part of the everyday vernacular here that it's entered my language just as "Ya'll" has snuck in.
It's also a word I barely ever used before I had a child. It's come to mean so much more to me now. Can you guess why?
Well, it's because I have a child with two bright eyes, two active, muscled legs, rosy and well-fed cheeks and shining, healthy hair. I have a child who eats nutritious food everyday and never goes to sleep hungry. I have a child that smiles all the time and doesn't know what it is to fear. My child doesn't know abuse or disability or sickness. He doesn't know pain beyond a skinned knee or a bump on the head. His mommy can still kiss all his boo-boo's away and his daddy has big shoulders for him to cry on. He is loved and cherished and he wants for nothing.
As much as I say that he needs this or that, in all reality, all he needs is love and care and a safe environment.
I need to remind myself that there are so many children in this world that know suffering and I am blessed that my child does not. I hope he never knows pain or sadness but I know that this is impossible. I can only hope that his father and I have helped give him strength to deal with all the world-weary things that will come his way.
I love my family and feel so grateful to have them and when our second son is born healthy and strong I will feel twice blessed and may just burst.

No comments: