Sunday, May 4, 2008

Mes ami's et cuisine

Growing up in Michigan and within the shadow of a big city I've had my fill of all sorts of food from around the world; Thai, Indian, Mexican (mmm, I miss Xochi's), Lebanese/Arabic, Greek, Italian, Asian, Ethiopian....to name a few. Even in my travels/studies I've had some interesting and yummy Ecuadorean and Cuban food. However, before moving down here I only knew of Cajun country from movies and just pictured swamps, alligators and unintelligible people named Gascon. So I essentially know nothing about Cajun people, culture or food. Well, I didn't until a couple of years ago when we moved a little closer to the Bayou region. Now I am learning and I must say it is quite an interesting thing...the whole Cajun thing, I mean.

Me and the girls are like "Why not have a Cajun cook night??"
So I think, Sure! Sounds awesome! I love food! ......What the hell do I make? What does a Yankee Vegetarian know about Cajun food?
Not much but desserts are always a safe bet. I went for a traditional bread pudding with a white chocolate cream sauce. You can screw up a bread pudding (I think mine turned out okay though) but you just aren't allowed to mess up a gumbo! Sacre bleu! Especially when the other two "chefs" are from Louisiana and were practically nursed with gumbo. :)
Thank gawd I am married to a man who lived in New Orleans and knows a little about what traditional Cajun food is supposed to taste like. He helped by saying stuff like "Well...it looks right..."


We ended up having an awesome time. All the food was marvelous! We had Mandi's shrimp pasta, Olivia's gumbo, Andy's ribs and my bread pudding. I give everything a big thumb's up! (I even tried a spoonful of gumbo...no ribs though) Mmmmmmm. What a great time to start a supper club thing....when I'm pregnant and can gorge myself on whatever I want and not have to worry about gaining weight. Gotta love the perks of pregnancy!
I don't know what it is about getting together and sharing food but it makes just a regular conversation more fun. The guys got to hang out and talk about guy things and run after the kids (who were everywhere!), the girls got to actually sit and eat food....well, I did at least, because my little baby is still in my belly...theirs sat in there laps and tried attacking the food they weren't allowed to eat yet. :) How dreadfully cliche' but we even had a celebrity gossip session.

The toddlers were hilarious together! Carter gets so hyped up when he plays with his little girlfriends. I love watching his face when he sees his little buddies because it shines with so much innocent joy. I must say that even I felt like I was coming down off of a sort of Mommy High after we got home. Since socializing is so much harder to do with kids it seems more intense when you actually get to do it. I really enjoyed myself and feel lucky to have met such great people since we moved here.
Thanks ladies!
I hope we can keep up with the supper club thing. I think Mexican is the plan for next month. Hmmm, what others can we do? Middle Eastern, Greek, Italian, Chinese.... I even heard the suggestion for a Decadent Dessert night. Can't wait!

No comments: