Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Grocery momma go crazy

I hate to go on and on about grocery shopping with a child but it makes up a significant part of our lives. I have to stay within a tight budget and use creative shopping tactics to get the best out of our grocery money. This requires brain power and planning, both of which go right out the window when I add my demanding toddler. Now, I have friends who manage just fine with two little ones in tow....or at least survive, so I should be able to get the job done, right?
Today I had big coupon and it was Buy 1 get 1 free day so this was a complicated trip. Carter was whining incessantly the whole time. Where does this whine come from??? Anyway, he was wearing shoes that are too big for him (he insisted on them because they have Elmo and Cookie Monster on them and they light up when you walk), he had his tote bag of "guys" (who never seem to distract him anymore...they are just an accessory) and all of a sudden he is starving. So I give him a banana. The old ladies are making disapproving noises it seems....what?! we aren't allowed to eat the produce as we shop?! geez.
Anytime he points at something I am just tossing it into the cart in desperation (boxes of food, ice cream scoops, rubber frogs, etc....) ...."please, stop for one minute and relax while mommy gets something done!", I beg in my head. Down the cereal aisle I have a genius idea...."Look! Apple jacks! You remember apple jacks?" (I say this thinking they are B1G1 free but I was mistaken so no Apple Jacks even though he is now screaming "Ah-Jacks! Ah-Jacks!". Ahhhhh, but Fruit Loops are on sale! Hurray, close enough. Fruit Loops are now Apple Jacks and don't any of you tell him otherwise.
In exhaustion, I let him have 3 bowls of Ah-Jacks for dinner. Yeah motherhood.

Ya know, they say that the wee one has sensitive hearing at this point and is supposed to be "getting used to" noises from outside the womb. I sure hope our new little one is getting used to screaming because his big brother ain't exactly toning it down lately.

1 comment:

Olivia said...

Nice job getting out alive, which is all I can manage to do. And, I think the noise outside the womb works because right after David was born we drove to LA for Xmas and Marion screamed for about 1/2 hour for a candy bar and David slept through the whole thing:)