Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Two sided motherhood

I am a Stay at Home Mom; or a SAHM. I'm a Housewife or a Homemaker. I "work" from home. I like Martha Stewart and I own a couple of Betty Crocker cookbooks. I drive a mini-van and I carry snacks and juiceboxes with me on outings. I wear flip-flops and tank tops or t-shirts. I got my hair cut short because it's "easier to manage" (although I think I look much better with it shorter anyway). I get a kick out of reorganization and I stress about my grocery bill. This is just my life.
So when I run into friends or acquaintances who are working moms (as in they go to a job everyday in the morning and return in the evenings and they get paid for this) there is always an obvious difference in our lives that may or may not affect the conversation. I must point out that usually these women have make-up on, nice business-y clothes, heels and an actual "hairstyle"...also, they are minus their child. I am usually tousled, flushed from chasing my little crazy man, toenails chipped, flip-flops encrusted with mud and/or grass clippings (oops!) and my eyes are nervously darting back and forth as I try to focus on talking and watching my toddler.
Sometimes I'll get the "Oh, you don't work?" or "You stay at home all day?". These sound like innocuous statements/questions but they have a different ring to them when asked by certain people. I just think that it is strange how being a mother can be the same for us all in one way but yet be sooooo very different for us in another.
We just make different choices and I don't regret mine for one second.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, being a "career woman" is over rated in my book. Why in the world would someone actually "want" to do that!