Monday, July 14, 2008

Screw going green

I do not need anything else to set me off. I am a ticking time bomb of worry and stress. So we had the inlaws staying with us for the weekend (this is a blatant unspoken rule breaker) and I broke a light bulb in Carter's room. No big deal right? Just some challenging inter-family issues and a stupid broken light bulb. No.
First of all, none of you know these inlaws or the drama produced by them and Secondly, it was not just any light bulb. It was an Energy Saver bulb (apparently loaded with mercury) because my husband is trying very hard to be green. Did we know it was dangerous? No. Not until this morning when Kevin hears some news story about them and the EPA findings and I do some online research. Holy hell. Of course now I am convinced that my baby will be born blind, epileptic and unable to function as a normal child because I was the moron who broke the bulb, probably scarfed down all the mercury fumes and then cleaned it up by hand. These are all no-no's according the "Clean up guidelines".
What to do. I will just worry....as usual. And worry. And worry. I can't take it.
Why isn't there danger labels on these stupid things??
I can't really talk about the whole inlaw thing...it's too involved and it stresses me out....but Phew! Thank gawd we have the house to ourselves again....even if it is laden with mercury vapor. (supposedly it would have dissipated within the first hour but I am mental and will always think that it is lingering and slowly poisoning our family)
I don't like those damn bulbs anyway....they're ugly. Screw going green.

No comments: