Friday, March 28, 2008

So I spoke too soon

I guess. Now that we are all better it seems that taking a nap is not a top priority to my darling child. At least, taking a nap in the house...in a bed. I tried and tried. I even put the babygate up at the door of his room and told him he had to nap. Yeah right. I gave up sometime in the afternoon yesterday and decided I needed to get on with my day so we went to Sam's Club and of course on the way home he fell asleep in the car. Arrrgggh. I am out of ideas. I've tried everyone's advice. I've read sleep problem books. I just don't know.
At the end of the day I told my husband that I've thought it over and decided that we are gonna sell him to the gypsy's.
(When I was little this was funny to the adults I think but I never got it. I guess it was a generational, parental threat)
So I think to myself "You are a fucking crazy woman! How the hell are you gonna survive this age? and a new baby?" Then I feel sorry for myself and wish I could go over to my sisters house and veg out while all the kids play. I want my sisters and brother and aunts and uncles and dad and blah. Maybe pregnancy has turned me into an emotional head case.

Anyway......
He is using a lot more words these days but of course they aren't very clear. He is really trying hard to sound out new ones. I find it rather interesting that he is also using more sign language as well. I kinda thought once he started using more words to communicate that it would taper off but he picks up and uses new signs from his baby einstein videos everyday. My favorite word he is trying hard to get right is "more". When he says it he will do the sign but it will often come out "Nooooo(r)e" then he'll revamp it and go "Mah mah Moooohhe". Hey, at least he's workin on it. :) funny little guy.

A couple of days ago I bought him his very own baby doll. Kevin was like, "What exactly is the point to this?"
I view it as a prop to teach him that we are to be gentle with the new baby and how to nurture and care for it. I just got a sceptical "Hmmmm" from my husband. Well, we'll see. So far his "baby" has been lying on the chair with a bottle shoved in it's mouth. He fed it yesterday and then abandoned it.

Well, I must go paint my toenails (I use the word paint loosely) and prepare for storytime at the bookstore. I need to have a tired child ready for a damn nap in the house, later.

2 comments:

mandi said...

Jess --- sorry you aren't catching much of a break. Putting Meredith in her crib for naps and letting her cry it out during the day is the best damn thing I ever did. I know carter is a lot older now so I don't know how it would work..

It seemed that CIO during the day was not as bad as at night. At least IMO that and I was beyond frustrated with the napping routine. Rock for 1 hour and 30 minutes for a 20-40 minute nap.

Perhaps you can try putting him in his baby bed with a few toys and books. That is how I did it. I was amazed at how quickly the crying phase ended and then I wanted to kick myself for not doing it sooner.

I know caryn and jeff recently started doing it with Ian and they too were amazed at how quickly he stopped crying!

Hugs honey!

Olivia said...

Try not to worry too much about what you will do when #2 comes around. I don't have Marion straightened out on a lot of things, but somehow, things just work out. I figure out how to do everything (naps, meals, cleaning-at least a little) with both of them. Sometimes they are both crying, but I don't think anyone ever died from crying--including mommies:)