Thursday, November 6, 2008

Family visits and Battleground Everything

So Sunday my stepfather and his lady came for a visit. They brought Michigan treats (Vernors, Sanders hot fudge and Better Made chips), christmas presents from da sista and baby gifts. I love visits that start like this! haha. This was only the second time Carter got to meet his grandpa Rick.
How awful does that sound? That my son has only met such important people in his life once or twice... weird. I miss my family even more when I see familiar faces, however briefly. It tears my heart in two when I see how much my little niece has grown and I realize that I've only seen her once when she was 3 months old....and now she is an 18 month old terror. Sniffle.
Anyway, homesickness and depression aside.... We had a whirlwind visit with them. We did the zoo, lunch downtown and I made some bread pudding as a treat. Carter giggled happily on the carousel with his grandpa and basically was a sweetheart the whole time
I feel bad when they say stuff like"He's so sweet! I thought you said he was a terror!", because I find myself arguing that Yes, he is a terror....but wait, that's not right! The mother is supposed to be telling everyone all of her child's Good qualities and even making up a few and here I am arguing people out of thinking the best of him??? What? Who am I?
Of course, he is a sweetheart and a charmer and smart and ambitious and his motor skills are highly developed and blah blah blah..........pause.......pause......pause......BUT, he is still two. He is a two year old rascal with immature reasoning skills and he is highly frustrated most of the time. I must remember that this is his age not his personality that makes me so crazy.

My rambunctious two year old boy makes everything a Battleground. I can't "pick my battles" as they say because everything is a battle around here. We fight to get clothes on. We fight to get them off. We fight to get in the bath. We fight to get out of the bath. We fight, argue, reason, yell, threaten, walk away, storm off, cry and put our head in our hands all day and night. And I wonder to myself; my crazy, drained self, is it always going to be like this? And the answer, of course, is NO. But damn it, it's exhausting. He is pushing us to our very limits because he can and why would he act out in front of other people when he has 2 wonderful whipping posts at home to practice on? Yep, mommy and daddy make excellent guinea pigs and since we love him so much he can really crank up the action.
I am basically a No Conflict type of person. I don't like loud noises so much or yelling or those crappy feelings you get after an arguement. I don't like drama. But here I am, firmly stuck in dramatic conflicts everyday. I'm No Good at this people! Either my oldest son will grow out of his most recent behavior or I will be visiting him in his dressing room after a smash hit Broadway show.

Therefore, THIS is why I tell people he is "high maintenance" or a "terror" or a "pistol", because at home with us, he is. I swear I'm not making it up. :) But damn! if he ain't just the sweetest thing when ya'll are around....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine what I was like when I was 2....Crazy! Your a great Mom, Wife, Aunt, Relative and Friend... I am happy to hear your family can visit, even if it is not as often as you would all like. I'm sure that everyone wishes thay could visit more... hug those boys for me..I need to visit

Anonymous said...

thats me

Anonymous said...

when did you see audrey?

Jess said...

Um, I didn't know people as old as you were supposed to be smokin' crack...

Last August for the wedding, nitwit. When she was 3 months old and still doing that lick the shoulder thing.

And Anna, you are too sweet to me. Miss you much, lady.

Anonymous said...

ok, I'm going senile.....I remember...well sorta.