Little things he does surprise me most. Like when he takes his pencil and connects-all-the-dots, or when he takes two little curtain rods we have laying in the utility room and walks around with them like stilts. Granted it's not like he is composing a Nocturne or anything but these little things remind me that he is a small, thinking person.
*****
Yesterday, we were playing Hot Wheels on the kitchen floor while I got dinner together and he picked up a serving spoon so that he could play "My hockey!" with his cars. Then it was on to broom hockey which is much easier for momma to play. Now I know what they say about hockey being in a Northerners DNA but this is strange since we've never (that we know of) discussed hockey in front of him before. Obviously, we have and he has just absorbed that snippet of info like the little sponge he is.
*****
A couple of weeks ago Carter was in the bath tub looking somber.
Me- What's up man? You feel okay?
Carter- Mama (sigh), I have a throat in my mouth. (opens mouth wide and points down his throat)
Me- You have a throat in your mouth? (thinking....then recalling an episode of Little Bear when he had a sore throat) Ohhhh, you have a frog in your throat?
Carter- Yeah, I have a throat in my fwog. Need hot drink....warm me up.
Me- Would you like some warm apple juice for your throat? Just like Mother Bear got for Little Bear?
Carter- Uh-huh (pathetic nod)
*****
Carter has the not uncommon habit of silkying us when he is tired or upset. The funny part is that he only wants to silky one place and he goes for it every time and that's the inside part of your arm where it bends. He will shove his whole hand and arm up your sleeve trying to get to that soft crease. He refers to it as Silkoo as in "I want to silkoo you". My dear heart.
*****
Sometimes for a snack he just wants shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl and he eats it with a spoon. *shrug* Whatever.
*****
I always want to remember the Mississippi DMV debacle and how I took my two small children to a rundown shack jam-packed with all of society's rejects and waited 2 hours to get my Mississippi driver's license. I had been stalking the parking lot for days trying to get a time when it wasn't a horrendous wait and just finally had to go for it. I walked in and pulled number 88....they were only on number 7. Eegads. Luckily a gentlemanly sort of guy gave me his number 44 and cut my time in half....and it still ended up taking almost 2 hours. Ridiculous. Never. Ever. Ever. Try to make a 2 year old wait for that long. Two year olds by nature have a window of about 20 minutes....this can only be extended by a wrestling match on the dirty floor, sweating profusely, threatening bodily harm and finally hyperventilating in broken plastic chair. You should see my driver's license picture. It's quite a mugshot, lemme tell ya.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I don't think the general masses know what it is to silky something. I do believe that was a term coined within our family.
By the way, I'm down with his bowl of cheese eating. Yum!
Hmm, really? I was under the assumption that everyone knew what "silky" was. Well then, a clarification: To Silky-- is to caress or rub a soft something or another like skin or a lovey with satin edges, etc...as a form of soothing oneself.
you sound like a real dictionary
Honey, these stories are so good!!!
Also, silky = caress
ooops. I didn't know it would publish as my fantasy sports name.
silky = caress &
salty = Kevin
Post a Comment