Sunday, February 8, 2009

Birthday festivities

I know I planned on it but we didn't really vacuum because we wanted to..... It was an accident.

You know that cupboard that you never go into that has all of your wine glasses that you got for your wedding that you never use anymore because if you have any vino you opt for a short, squat juice glass? This happens mostly because life these days is no longer an elegant sip from the rim of a delicate glass bowl but more of a lippy guzzle from the thick, cheap edges of machined blue glass. Ha. (Also, our toddler must never ever be around these top-heavy hazards.)
Anyway, after a wonderful birthday day where we went to the zoo (with new stroller glistening in the sunlight), went and got a free birthday car wash :), had family over for a visit, and I made an extraordinary crockpot concoction (mmmmm, see recipe below), we had some mommy/daddy time.
As we are chatting and putting the dishes away Kevin reaches up to open the infamous cupboard door, for god only knows what reason; I forgot to ask. In slow motion the shattering began; even before the door was fully open and before the first glass even touched the ground. The sound of a train barreling through a thousand glass window panes is the only way I can describe the noise.
We just stood there, dumbfounded, with our eyes scrunched up while glass rained down and shot around the kitchen like shrapnel. Awww well. I think I may have dropped the F-Bomb to break the shocked silence. Appropriate, I think in this case.

Amazingly both children slept through it and the following Haz Mat clean-up. Good grief. I felt like an FBI agent collecting minute samples at a crime scene. Splinters of glass were freakin' everywhere, people! You know when you have kids that it is imperative that you get every damn piece, right? Or else you risk the glass-in-the-foot scream and the hold-him-down-while-I-get-the-tweezers game.
Somehow after all that I went to sleep and I did not---I repeat, I did not--- have an anxiety attack or insomnia. Yeah! First time in almost 3 weeks! It was a birthday present to myself, from my subconscious, I guess.

Musing.....you know this is the first birthday that I did not blow out any candles on a cake. Weird. We just didn't get around to doing anything typically birthday-ish.

My weekend was lovely and I don't want it to end. Today I put a roast in the crockpot in the early a.m., visited with family again and left Carter at home for a while so me, the hubband and babes could go shopping and spend one of my giftcards. :) He had to keep reminding me to slow down and take my time because I am used to being on high-speed at a store. I usually only have a limited amount of time before Mt. Cartersuvius blows and buries us all in his liquid hot tears so I'm not used to ....taking...it.....sloooooow.
I tried on a bunch of crap, made unhappy girlie noises about my body shape and the problems of clingy fabric, and finally decided a two new things. I never shop for clothes for myself. This is kinda major.

What a good weekend. *sigh* Oh. Except for the fact that my little brother got car jacked at gunpoint on Friday.....that wasn't so great. Effing Detroit. I miss it but only because it's my Home. However, it's a really shitty place to be sometimes and now I remember why I wanted to move away. Crime and winter. Thank All that is right and good in this world that he is okay.

Here is yummy crockpot recipe that takes 5 minutes to put together:

Bluberry Crumble Cake
1 21oz can blueberry pie filling
1/2 cup butter
box of yellow cake mix
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Place pie filling in crockpot. Combine dry mix and melted butter, sprinkle over filling. Sprinkle walnuts on top of that. Cover and cook on low 2-2 1/2 hours. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (or whipped cream).

1 comment:

Salty said...

I opened the cabinet to place another glass in the cabinet that couldn't hold anymore glasses, of course. That's why they came tumbling down.

If you read this blog, you've got to try that crumble cake. Thank Jess later.